[Glass] '-1' asInteger -> 1

Dale Henrichs via Glass glass at lists.gemtalksystems.com
Fri Mar 10 10:25:10 PST 2017

Richard noticed this back in January[1]. It is related to Pharo
compatibility and Richard wrote a note to the Pharo list[2] on the
subject, to which Guillermo Polito replied:

 >> Now, I'd like to fix this, because it just introduces noise and
probably a lot of strange code. But the problem is not fixing it on
itself, but checking all possible users relying on such strange
behaviour. I bet that fixing it naively could lead to break your image :).

I would suggest using NumberParser (SqNumberParser or
ExtendedNumberParser depending upon your needs) for parsing numbers ...

Alternatively you could fix CharacterCollection>>#asInteger to behave as
you'd like ... There are close to a hundred senders of #asInteger in my
stone, and after a quick scan of the senders I don't see any existing
uses of asInteger that rely on the odd behavior --- most appear to
expect a string consisting of unsigned digits, which AFAICT is handled
correctly by either implementation. But I would be aware that changing
the behavior of CharacterCollection>>#asInteger could cause unexpected
problems in other libraries ...

Dale

[1] https://github.com/GsDevKit/GsDevKit/issues/94

[2]