[Glass] SmalltalkCI gemstone on mac os sierra

Dale Henrichs via Glass glass at lists.gemtalksystems.com
Wed Mar 22 11:54:35 PDT 2017

Johan,

If you are running with the latest update for Sierra, you should be okay
... There was an issue, but we believe that the problems were addressed
by Apple.

I think that you are having a hostname issue that is not necessarily
related to Sierra ... I'm pretty sure that the mac os has funky behavior
when setting the hostname, i.e., when you "name" your host during the
standard mac os installation/upgrade/startup process, the hostname is
hot necessarily propogated to the underlying operating system... I don't
recall all of the details, but it has to do with the fact that your
hostname is not in the file /etc/hosts and that causes a problem for
GemStone. Furthermore, it is not sufficient (on the mac only?) to simply
edit /etc/hosts. I think it is necessary to use `sudo hostname` to
properly set the hostname - but this advice may be different for Sierra(?).

I think the rule of thumb is that the name returned by `hostname` must
be present in /et/chosts for GemStone to run properly ... and I'm pretty
sure that `sudo hostname` is the incantation that guarantees that.
However, I am not running on Sierra yet:)

If `sudo hostname` doesn't work I think you'll need to Google for
properly setting hostname on Sierra.

Dale