[Glass] Is GsDevKit (and more importantly `upgradeStone`) ready for 3.4 ?

Mariano Martinez Peck via Glass glass at lists.gemtalksystems.com
Thu Nov 2 12:45:42 PDT 2017

Yes, there are many things that would benefit us from what I read in the
release notes... my top 10:

1) Indexes performance improvements.
2) Secure backups
3) LZ4 compression for tranlogs as well as for backups.
4) Some primitives optimizations for Array at: and friends
5) New RC classes: I love to see RcArray. I will also try to replace all my
RcIdentityBag to RcLowMaintenanceIdentityBag
6) STN_GROUP_COMMITS seems useful too
7) Glad to hear add: , removeAll: etc now answer the removed/added rather
than self in all collection impl. I remember still finding some issues with
this (but I can't remember which collection class).

Aside from all that, Allen Otis and Norm Green have shared with me some
optimizations we can apply to make  Seaside rendering faster. In a 3.4
alpha release, I measured 50% speedup on regular seaside rendering. But all
the changes I made to Seaside and Grease were all hardcoded with overrides
etc. Once I have a working stable 3.4 stone I will try to make a first push
of these changes so that we can all correctly integrate those changes and
speedup seaside. The changes are mostly about:

8) Using the new AppendStream and AppendableString
9) Using the new primitive for writing UTF8 (#encodeAsUTF8IntoString)
10) New primitive #javaScriptEncode

Cheers,

On Thu, Nov 2, 2017 at 4:32 PM, Paul DeBruicker via Glass <