[Glass] Another metacello loading puzzle: xml

Iwan Vosloo via Glass glass at lists.gemtalksystems.com
Tue Jan 16 04:34:00 PST 2018

Hi Dale.

I tried getting a version going that does kinda what WonkaLoader does,
but not using the WonkaLoader class. That was tricky because it contains
logic in onUpgrade/onDowngrade/onConflict which is not trivial [1].
Doing this, I managed to get it to load overNetwork using filetree repos
and using GsUprader, GsDeployer etc. But, I could not get it to work
without the network.

I am starting to feel doing this is not productive....

So, I switched back to getting WonkaLoader to work. The issue there was
that I had to make it use a filetree cache repository in order to bypass
the character encoding issue with mcz files.

This is now on github, but it breaks with log [2]. (Stack is included
there, but not the WHOLE stack.) It would be great if you can advise on
this...

Just to recap (in case it helps with navigating the log output):

This thing works in 2 phases as you also suggested. First phase it loads
the basic projects, in this order:

GsUpgrader (from a local git clone)

MetacelloPreviewBootstrap (from a local mcz repo, possibly old [3])
MetacelloPreview (from a local git clone [4])

FileTree (from a local git clone)
Metacello (from a local git clone)
Grease (from a local git clone)
GLASS1 (from a local git clone)

These are prefixed with '*** Loading' in the log.

The breakage happens while loading GLASS AFAIK. It never gets to the
second phase, which is to load BaselineOfWonkaRuntime.

[1]
https://github.com/finworks/BaselineOfWonkaRuntime/blob/master/topaz/makeCIImageUsingStandardTools.topaz

[2]
https://github.com/finworks/BaselineOfWonkaRuntime/blob/master/logs/transcript.WonkaLoader.overNetwork.2018-01-16.log