[Glass] Another metacello loading puzzle: xml

Dale Henrichs via Glass glass at lists.gemtalksystems.com
Wed Jan 17 07:43:26 PST 2018

Iwan,

I see that you are using a filetree cache now, which is clever, but
because .mcz files does not have a consistent file/package naming
convention, when the Sport package is converted to filtree, which _does_
have an enforced package naming convention it runs into the consistency
check error for filetree:( Between the "corrupt" .mcz files and
improperly named .mcz files you are caught between a rock and a hard place.

Now it turns out I've already moved Sport to a github project[1] and the
github project for Sport does not have this inconsistency[2]. It looks
like I renamed the Sport3.010.v3 package to Sport.v3 and you might be
able to pull off the same trick by renaming the package in the hyper
project[1] and whatever ConfigurationOf that references it - but this is
wandering into complicated territory that is only becoming a problem
because you are trying to use a filetree cache ... If this is the very
last problem, then it might be worth it ...

I think it would take an afternoon to clone all of the projects from
github and create local git repos for the projects that you use that are
not on github and I would recommend that you use GsDevKit[4] instead of
GLASS[5], because I've already done the work of converting all of the
dependent projects from .mcz to github projects that are loaded in a
standard install ... the actual code in GsDevKit and GLASS is
"identical" (GLASS is a fork of the GsDevKit project and pull requests
are shared between the two) so it should be that difficult to switch out
and pretty quickly I think that you would be networkless and loading all
of your source from disk-based git repositories and you would be heading
in the right direction.

I have been doing builds using the GsDevKit repository since October and
for the last month I've been doing active development in a GsDevKit (not
GLASS) stone on a daily basis..

So I strongly suggest that you reconsider your decision to not follow my
recommendation to use local git repos as a solution to your networkless
load problems.

Dale

[1] https://github.com/GsDevKit/Sport
[2]