[Glass] Restore 3.1.0.6 backup

Trussardi Dario Romano via Glass glass at lists.gemtalksystems.com
Fri Nov 2 07:20:37 PDT 2018

Dale,

> On 10/31/2018 11:30 AM, Trussardi Dario Romano via Glass wrote:
>> Ciao Dale,
>>
>> sorry but I had a problem on a server.

	it was not the server in question.

>>  I was able to verify the restore on an old system and everything worked.

	I have hard disk where is replicate the operating system and  the gsDevKitHome environment and the 3.1.0.6 database.

	After startup the emergency PC with this device i do  ( from tode shell ) the restore operation without problem.

	I used the same original 	gestionale.dbf.gz   backup file.

>>  Do not ask me the details ( now ) but I think everything ( the origin GLASS where i do the backup -  and the Target GLASS where i restore  the data )
>>
>>  refers to the old gsDevKitHome environment.
> So you have resolved the "corrupt object errors"? Hardware issues would be a a likely cause of corrupt obj errors and sigsegvs and "garbage collection errors" and if you've "solved" your problem by running on different hardware then it isn't likely (tho still possible) that you are running into the bugs that have been fixed in later versions of GemStone ...

	OK, good to know.

	But in the emergency system with GsDevKit_home environment and relative 3.1.0.6 database

	 where i restored the same original gestionale.dbf.gz   backup file

		the problem is still that 	( see my first email dated 24/10 )
>>> You may have run into a memory manager bug that has been fixed in later versions of GemStone ... you might try using a larger TOC to avoid the bug:
>>>
>>> GEM_TEMPOBJ_CACHE_SIZE=200000;
>> In which file ( path ) should I set this parameter?
> This would be set in the system.conf file ($GS_HOME/server/stones/<stone-name>/extents/system.conf) or the gem.conf file ($GS_HOME/server/stones/<stone-name>/gem.conf)

	I changed both.

>> Keep in mind that the problems about restore  I had on a system where I have the GsDevKit_home environment
>>
>> Then:  the origin GLASS where i do the backup is based on gsDevKitHome
>>
>> the target where i do the restore is based on gsDevKit_Home
> Ah now I understand a bit more ... the `script --script=rebuildSys` script should work in the new environment, but the version of tODE installed for gsDevKitHome may be too old (I don't recall at the moment).

	Now the tODE where i do the	 script --script=rebuildSys		 is based on gsDevKit_Home

	But the system answer the same error:

		a InternalError occurred ( error 2261 ) , The object with object ID remoteNil is corrupt.

		Reason 'store past end'

		I press the Abort for some time.

		After 40 seconds the tode shell report :		GciSessionNotLoggedInError: Session no longer logged in

	The recent gem log file is:

	Question:

		is it possible that the problem is related to the DataCurator password?

		The restore  database has a different password than the 	'swordfish'

		I change to the new restore password into:

			1) 	 tODE entry description password
			2) 	 the ../server/base_3106/product/seaside/etc/	gemstone.secret

 			but I have some doubts.

	Also because when i run:	  stopStone base_3106		the system report:

=================
   GsDevKit script: stopStone base_3106
              path: /opt/GsDKb/GsDevKit_home/bin/stopStone
=================

Error running shell command: '/opt/GsDKb/GsDevKit_home/server/bin/gs/stopGemstone'
with args:
STDOUT: '--- 02/11/18 14:59:41.276 CET ---
stopstone[Info]: GemStone version ''3.1.0.6''
stopstone[Info]: initiating ''base_3106'' shutdown...
GemStone: Error         Fatal
Login failed:  the GemStone userId/password combination is invalid
or expired.
Error Category: 231169 [GemStone] Number: 4051  Arg Count: 0 Context : 20 exception : 20
'
STDERR: =================
   GsDevKit script: stopGemstone
              path: /opt/GsDKb/GsDevKit_home/server/bin/gs/stopGemstone
=================
stopstone[Error]: Invalid username(DataCurator) or password.
Error on or near line 22 :: stopGemstone  :: stopGemstone
Error: Shell command: '/opt/GsDKb/GsDevKit_home/server/bin/gs/stopGemstone' failed.
GsDevKitStopstoneCommandLineHandler class(Object)>>error:
GsDevKitStopstoneCommandLineHandler class(GsDevKitAbstractCommandLineHandler class)>>runShellCommand:args:noError:
GsDevKitStopstoneCommandLineHandler(GsDevKitAbstractCommandLineHandler)>>runShellCommand:args:
GsDevKitStopstoneCommandLineHandler>>activate
GsDevKitStopstoneCommandLineHandler class(CommandLineHandler class)>>activateWith:
PharoCommandLineHandler(BasicCommandLineHandler)>>activateSubCommand: in Block: [ aCommandLinehandler activateWith: commandLine ]
BlockClosure>>on:do:
PharoCommandLineHandler(BasicCommandLineHandler)>>activateSubCommand:
PharoCommandLineHandler(BasicCommandLineHandler)>>handleSubcommand
PharoCommandLineHandler(BasicCommandLineHandler)>>handleArgument:
PharoCommandLineHandler(BasicCommandLineHandler)>>activate in Block: [ self handleArgument: (self arguments ifEmpty: [ ...etc...
BlockClosure>>on:do:
PharoCommandLineHandler(BasicCommandLineHandler)>>activate
PharoCommandLineHandler>>activate
PharoCommandLineHandler class(CommandLineHandler class)>>activateWith:
PharoCommandLineHandler class>>activateWith: in Block: [ super activateWith: aCommandLine ]
WorldState>>runStepMethodsIn:
WorldMorph>>runStepMethods
WorldState>>doOneCycleNowFor:
WorldState>>doOneCycleFor:
WorldMorph>>doOneCycle
MorphicUIManager>>spawnNewProcess in Block: [ ...
BlockClosure>>newProcess in Block: [ ...
Error on or near line 99 :: devKitCommandLine stopstone base_3106 :: devKitCommandLine stopstone base_3106
Error on or near line 74 :: stopStone base_3106 :: stopStone base_3106

	Thanks,

		Dario