[Glass] GsDevKit for Docker

Dale Henrichs via Glass glass at lists.gemtalksystems.com
Thu Sep 20 16:26:34 PDT 2018

On 09/11/2018 04:22 PM, Jupiter Jones via Glass wrote:
> Hi again,
>
> Just some thoughts out loud. Anyone with container and kubernets
> knowledge please chime in :)
>
> I’m looking at what needs to persist in GsDevKit for any particular
> user, and it comes down to three directories:
>
> $GS_HOME/shared
> $GS_HOME/server
> $GS_HOME/sys
>
> The “shared” directory doesn’t really need persistence if we assume
> that when a new version of GS is released, a new image will be
> created, and the server will replace the old image with the new one.
>
> The same may be said about “sys” however it’s possible, even likely,
> that new nodes will be added in tODE to support the production system.
>
> “server” obviously contains the stones and translogs so needs to be
> persistent.
>
> Ideally, it would be nice if there was a single directory root for
> data that needed persistence. Having 2 directories mounted (“server”
> and “sys") may be an issue since there is a link in “sys/stones”
> pointing to “server/stones”. I’ll have to confirm if that link works
> once “server” and “sys” are mounted as separate volumes. I have a
> feeling it won’t.
I think that only the server dir needs to have persistent (the tranlogs
and extents) ...the sys/default and sys/local are both managed by git,
so you can use git to save any scripts that need to be saved ...

> I forgot to mention, the current state of this work is at:
>
> https://github.com/JupiterSmalltalk/DockerForGemStone
>
> On the GsDevKit branch.
>
> So the error from the previous email is easily replicated by checking
> out that branch then running “make build” in
> the GsDevKit-Starter-3.4.2 directory.
I've about used up my budget for doing experiments today and tomorrow I
have some high priority items that need to be addressed ... I'll poke
around with docker when I next get a chance ...