[Glass] Concurrency Pattern - Delete an object if a collction it contains is empty, how ?

James Foster Smalltalk at JGFoster.net
Wed Feb 27 12:20:29 PST 2019

Marten,

Perhaps I’m getting confused by the reference to "an empty set” and then the instructions to “remove object”. Are there two collections? One in the object and one holding the object?

I believe you are describing a situation in which you have a collection of objects and you want a sub collection of objects that satisfy some criteria (in your case the criteria is “an object’s attribute slot is empty").

So, first, just apply a #select: message to the persistent collection. Would that be semantically the same? If so, are you eliminating that solution based on a measurable performance concern?

One way to think about concurrency is how the events would play out if they were not in parallel, but happened in series (e.g., with a lock on the persistent collection). If the object changed so that it satisfied the condition before the purge runs, then the object stays. If the purge runs first, how does the object get added back? Is a new object created? Or is it in another collection?

If the object would be persistent anyway (in another collection), then, again, why not a #select: on the main collection? If that has a measurable performance problem then look at creating an index on the attribute in question and use the index-based #select: method.

Again, I’m asking mostly to better understand the question, not to push a solution on you.

James