[Glass] SafelyPerformBlockRequiringAbort error when running Seaside

Dale Henrichs dale.henrichs at gemtalksystems.com
Thu Feb 20 10:25:29 PST 2020

The GsDevKit/Seaside31 repository was originally created (in 2013)
because Seaside development was not available on Github (until 2015). A
little over a year ago[1], I decided to start recommending that the
official SeasidSt github repository[2] be used instead of
GsDevKit/Seaside31 and in concert with that I stopped updating the
baseline for GsDevKit/Seaside31. My last update was last April[3]. If
you look at the travis build history[4], you'll see that the last time a
travis build ran green was 3 years ago[5]. Up until last April, the
GsDevKit/Seaside31 builds were tested by internal builds on a regular
basis...

Sooo, I would recommend that you switch to using SeasidSt/Seaside, but
if that is too big of a job to take on - the current version of
SeasidSt/Seaside is 3.4.0[6] and GsDevKit/Seaside31 is still at 3.1, so
it wouldn't necessarily be an easy migration, you could update the
baseline, using this commit as reference[7], since that's when I added
3.4 to the lineup and it is very likely that that is all that is needed
... I'm reluctant to update the GsDevKit/Seaside31repository, since it
doesn't use SmalltalkCI and SeasidSt/Seaside is the Seaside repository
of record ...

I see that SeasidSt/Seaside has a tag for 3.1.3[8], but that version
also would need to have it's baseline updated and it seems that
Travis-CI support was added after the 3.1.3 release ....

In the short term it looks like your best bet would be to add 3.5.x to
the GsDevKit/Seaside31 baseline and then run the tests ... when I added
3.4 to the baseline it looks like it wasn't necessary to update the
Seaside code base (most of the gemstone version specific changes get
made in GLASS1 and that is consistently maintained), so that will likely
be all that is necessary for you to move forward....

In the longer term, if you (and others?) expect to continue using
Seaside 3.1 for the foreseeable future, it would be worth adding
travis-ci support to 3.1.3 on SeasideSt/Seaside ... and it would be
useful to get Johan and Philippe involved in a discussion on how that
would be done ...  a 3.1.3 branch could be created where the travis
support could be added and the baseline changes for later versions of
GemStone  could b managed.

I don't have a lot of free time right now, but I could help folks work
through any kinks in the process that might run into ...

Dale

[1]
https://github.com/GsDevKit/GsDevKit_home/commit/902fdcad12c63a08595486ffa9bb9cb962048bf8#diff-04c6e90faac2675aa89e2176d2eec7d8
[2] https://github.com/SeasideSt/Seaside