[Glass] seaside.gemstone.com obsolete or down ?

Dale Henrichs dale.henrichs at gemtalksystems.com
Sun Jan 5 11:22:32 PST 2020

Marten,

seaside.gemstone.com has been off-line for several years now and when it
was taken off line permanently I did a sweep of a number of the public
packages and cleaned up all of the references to seaside.gemstone.com
that created build problems, so things have been running smoothly
without seaside.gemstone.com for a couple of years now ...

There is a GsDevKit_home Travis-CI job that runs monthly[1] and there
are a number of upgrade tests that are run. The last (greeen) run was 10
days ago ...

According to the log information you have provided, commit a7e9323 of
https://github.com/dalehenrich/metacello-work is being used and that is
the latest version of the repository (last commit as of June of last
year) and the last Travis-CI cron job ran 5 days ago[2]

The latest GsUpgrader-Core package on
http://ss3.gemtalksystems.com/ss/gsUpgrader.html was
GsUpgrader-Core-dkh.121.mcz and it was updated in February of 2016. Your
log does not indicate which version of GsUpgrader-Core was actually
downloaded, so it _is_ possible that you've used older version of
GsUpgrader-Core, but I'm going to guess that the stone you are working
with was created sometime since 2016 so I'm going to assume that you
were using the latest GsUpgrader-Core package. If you print the result
of running:

     MCWorkingCopy allManagers select: [:wc |
	wc packageName = 'GsUpgrader-Core']

after the `Gofer load` we'll know for sure.

Something could have changed in the last 5-10 days to create a problem
or there is something unique to the stone that you are running.

When I look at the travis log for a successful 3.4.3 build[3] and
compare the package versions downloaded to the ones listed in your log,
they all match ... the first package downloaded (successfully) in the
Travis-Ci job is Metacello-Core:

    Loaded -> BaselineOfMetacello-EstebanLorenzano.97 ---
    filetree:///home/travis/smalltalkCI-master/_builds/GsDevKit_home/shared/repos/metacello-work/repository
    [a7e93239:master] ---
    filetree:///home/travis/smalltalkCI-master/_builds/GsDevKit_home/shared/repos/metacello-work/repositoryLoading
    baseline of BaselineOfMetacello...Warning: LOCK ENFORCED: Attempt to
    'load with conflicts' new project: 'BaselineOfFileTree [baseline]
    from github://dalehenrich/filetree:gemstone2.4/repository' when
    existing project: 'BaselineOfFileTree [baseline] from
    filetree:///home/travis/smalltalkCI-master/_builds/GsDevKit_home/shared/repos/filetree/repository'
    is locked. New project not loaded. Use #onLock: to
    intercept.Warning: LOCK ENFORCED: Attempt to 'load with conflicts'
    new project: 'BaselineOfFileTree [baseline] from
    github://dalehenrich/filetree:gemstone2.4/repository' when existing
    project: 'BaselineOfFileTree [baseline] from
    filetree:///home/travis/smalltalkCI-master/_builds/GsDevKit_home/shared/repos/filetree/repository'
    is locked. New project not loaded. Use #onLock: to intercept.Fetched
    -> Metacello-Base-topa.124 ---
    filetree:///home/travis/smalltalkCI-master/_builds/GsDevKit_home/shared/repos/metacello-work/repository
    [a7e93239:master] ---
    filetree:///home/travis/smalltalkCI-master/_builds/GsDevKit_home/shared/repos/metacello-work/repositoryProject:
    Gofer stable [1.0.5.4]Fetched -> Metacello-Core-EstebanLorenzano.832
    ---
    filetree:///home/travis/smalltalkCI-master/_builds/GsDevKit_home/shared/repos/metacello-work/repository
    [a7e93239:master] ---
    filetree:///home/travis/smalltalkCI-master/_builds/GsDevKit_home/shared/repos/metacello-work/repository

and it is downloaded from the the same repository that
BaselineOfMetacello is loaded from (which is filetree in the case of the
Travis-Ci) and _SHOULD_ be the github repository used by
BaselineOfMetacello in your case ...

There are no references to seaside.gemstone.com in
BaselineOfMetacello-EstebanLorenzano.97, so the mystery is why and what
package are you trying to download.

You are not using a standard GsDevKit_home script (otherwise you would
be using the git repositories that are downloaded as part of the
GsDevKit_home system), but that should be okay, but there is clearly
something unique about the stone that you are using, otherwise things
would be working as expected.

Sooo, in order for me to try to reproduce your problem and help you, I
need the following information:

 1. What version of GemStone are you using?
 2. What extent are you using?
     1. is it freshly copied from $GEMSTONE/bin/,
     2. is it an existing extent that you've been using for awhile
 3. What are you intending to do?
     1. Using GsUpgrader is usually a step along the way to
        installing/upgrading GLASS and it is important to know which
        path you are one ... since it _can_ be important to know
 4. I'd also like to know if you are doing something that you have done
    in the past
     1. Are you following a series of steps that have been proven to
        work for you in the past?
         1. if so, what are the series of steps that you're following
     2. Are trying to do something that you've never tried before
         1. If so, what is it that you are trying to do ... three may
            already be an existing GsDevKit_home script that does what
            you want ..

Please try to give me as much information as possible in answering all
of these questions... otherwise it is very difficult for me to provide
meaningful help ...

Dale

[1] https://travis-ci.org/GsDevKit/GsDevKit_home/builds/629825252
[2] https://travis-ci.org/Metacello/metacello/builds/631440571