[Glass] GsDevKit_home - Ubuntu LTS 20.04 support (i386 libraries)

Dale Henrichs dale.henrichs at gemtalksystems.com
Sat Jul 11 10:03:15 PDT 2020

Marten,

Thanks for pioneering the effort on 20.0.4.

As I mention in my comment to #291[1], it looks like 20.04 has limited
support for 32 bit libraries[2]. The post is short on specific details,
so I don't know which libraries are missing, however, I'm going to guess
that that the missing library could be related to libssl1.0.0[3] as I'm
pretty sure that that library is used by Pharo3.0.

I would have expected an error during the install if that library wasn't
present ... but it would be useful to see what happens on 20.04 with an
explicit download:

    sudo apt-get -y update
    sudo dpkg --add-architecture i386
    sudo apt-get -y install libssl1.0.0:i386

If the libssl1.0.0 libraries are installed, then we'll have to dig a bit
deeper to understand why Pharo3.0 is having ssl library troubles.

Copy the output of those commands to issue #291[1] and I invite anyone
else with access to 20.04 to participate in resolving the problem.

As I've mentioned earlier I'm working against a deadline and don't have
the time to take this on myself, so we'll need a group effort to solve
this particular problem.

Further discussions should take place on issue #291[1] and if you have
cycles to help, please drop a note on that issue so that we know what
resources are available ...

Dale

[1] https://github.com/GsDevKit/GsDevKit_home/issues/291
[2]