[Glass] DateAndTime users' questionnaire

Martin McClure martin.mcclure at gemtalksystems.com
Fri Jun 19 16:47:56 PDT 2020

If you use DateAndTime in your GemStone application, we at GemTalk would
very much appreciate your feedback on the questions below.

At customer request, we're working on a SmallDateAndTime class for
GemStone -- a "Special" (immediate) version of DateAndTime that relates
to DateAndTime similarly to the relationship between SmallInteger and
LargeInteger. For customers with many persistent DateAndTime instances,
this should improve both space and time performance.

There are design tradeoffs in resolution, range, printing, etc., and it
will help us make better decisions if we know how DateAndTime is being
used now.

(1) Which of the following messages do you use to create DateAndTime
instances?
  * DateAndTime now
  * DateAndTime nowWithScale:
  * DateAndTime fromString:
  * DateAndTime year:day:hour* or year:month:day:hour*
  * Other protocol

(2) Do you need DateAndTimes with resolution finer than a microsecond?

(3) What is your year range of DateAndTime; do you need or use
DateAndTimes more than 5/10/50 years into the future (or the past)?

(4) How do you handle DateAndTime printing?

(5) Have you created a subclass of DateAndTime or DateAndTimeANSI, or
added your own methods to DateAndTime or DateAndTimeANSI?  If this is
general functionality that could be useful to include in the base,
please let us know.

(6) DateAndTime instances would need to be immutable, to be
interoperable with SmallDateAndTime. If you are using methods that do
update a DateAndTime, such as offset: or beRounded, does your code
expect the receiver to be modified?