[Glass] How to create an "empty" file (each byte content = 0) with a specific size (very large) very fast ?

Norm Green norm.green at gemtalksystems.com
Mon Jun 22 09:05:30 PDT 2020

Hi Marten,

I know how to do it in C but not in ST.  We do this very thing when we
grow database extents to a larger size.  It's a little tricky because
simply changing the file size does not guarantee the space in the file
will be available when it's written to.

A small user action that does this could be written in C, then the user
action could be called from Smalltalk in GemStone.

I will also submit a  feature request to do this from GsFile in a future
release.

Norm Green