[Glass] Current state of Cryptography?

Dale Henrichs dale.henrichs at gemtalksystems.com
Mon Sep 28 12:45:52 PDT 2020

Iwan,

It looks like GsDevKit/Cryptography has not been touched in 6 years ...
about 4 months ago, I enabled the travis CRON jobs for the project, but
the project had not been updated to use smalltalkCI, so the builds were
failing from the get go ... I've been busy with other projects since
then and figured I'd worry about  GsDevKit/Cryptography if/when someone
expressed interest in the project ...

It's easy enough for me to update the .travis.yml file to use
SmalltalkCI at which point we can see the state of the current project
relative to the more recent versions of GemStone, however, the code
hasn't been touched in 6 years ...

I am not a cryptography person, so I cannot judge whether or not the
code from 6 years ago (at least) is still relevant today.

The last time the pharo-contributions/Cryptography was touched was
touched in July, so I would assume that this project is more up-to-date.
The  pharo-contributions/Cryptography project was converted from
Filetree to tonel format last July, so it isn't practical to add
GemStone support to the project at the present time ...

It would be relatively easy to copy the code in the
pharo-contributions/Cryptography to a branch on the
GsDevKit/Cryptography project and convert back to Filetree form (using
Rowan) ... of course the projects would have to be re-ported to GemStone.

I don't have the cycles to do any major porting work, but if there are
folks that are interested in having the whole library or bits and pieces
ported to GemStone, I can certainly help ...

I see that X509 is part of the Cryptography project and I believe that
X509 is supported in 3.5.x.

At the end of the day, if there is something that is in the Cryptography
project that you need and it is not present in GemStone, then the best
route would certainly be to bring the library up-to-date and port it to
GemStone ... getting the project under travis using smalltalkci, would
mean that I would be willing and able to maintain the functionality of
the library on subsequent moving forward as new versions of GemStone are
released ...

So it is up to you and/or anyone else to put an oar in the water and
determine which parts of the project are good as they are and/or do a
wholesale fresh port of based on the pharo-contributions/Cryptography
project.

I will convert the project to smalltalkCI and update the .travis.yml to
include more recent versions of GemStone, so the state of the current
library can be evaluated ...

Dale