[Glass] Darwin Downloads > 3.5.2 no longer in .zip format

Dale Henrichs dale.henrichs at gemtalksystems.com
Fri Mar 12 11:00:04 PST 2021

Jupiter,

The plan is to continue long term support of GsDevKit_home.
The long-term priorities are:
get Rowan into production with both Pharo (Sparkle) and Dolphin (Jadeite) based GUIs.

get the GsDevKit/GLASS ecosystem functional in an image that includes Rowan, which means Metacello and Monticello will need to be able to co-exist with Rowan

get 32 bit tODE (a superset of GsDevKit/GLASS ecosystem) functional in an image that includes Rowan. This is necessary because many of the scripts that are used in GsDevKit_home use tODE to provide some of the needed functionality.

replace the GsDevKit_home scripts that are based on 32-bit Pharo and 32-bit tODE with topaz solo scripts[1]

begin porting GsDevKit/GLASS to Rowan
a first order port to Rowan mainly involves adding the Rowan meta data to a project in a separate directory structure created by manually or automatically (eventually) converting Metacello baselines into Rowan meta data.

porting to Rowan will be a pre-requisite to using Sparkle or Jadeite to development on projects in the GsDevKit/GLASS ecosystem, since neither GUI is expected to support Metacello/Monticello

a second order port to Rowan will be to start porting selected projects to the base GemStone image (i.e., without a dependency on GLASS[2]) thus allows commercial customers to use the projects without requiring a boatload Pharo compatibility methods and classes to be added to their images

The ordering of these tasks is based upon the assumption that I will end dong the bulk of the work (which has been the case for the last decade:) and that the most important thing is to eliminate the reliance upon 32 bit executables in the GsDevKit/GLASS ecosystem ...

Dale
[1] https://github.com/GsDevKit/GsDevKit_home/issues/260
[2] https://github.com/glassdb/glass