[Glass] Onwards with GsDevKit on Mac?

Dale Henrichs dale.henrichs at gemtalksystems.com
Tue Dec 27 09:27:29 PST 2022

Johan,

Regarding GsDevKit_stones[1], over the weekend I happened to be splashing
around with adding support for using XDG Base Directory Specification[2]
for a stones registry. The idea is that instead of porting the
GsDevKit_home support code from Pharo to GemStone, that we'd  specify the
information that was previously encoded in Pharo code and on disk in a
registry .ston file located in a well-known location
($XDG_CONFIG_HOME/gsdevkit_stones/registry/<host-name>.ston) that looks
something like the following:

GDKStonesRegistry {
>    "hostname" : "hostname",
>    "stones" :  {
>       "gs_363" : "$XDG_DATA_HOME/stones/gs_364.ston"
>         },
>    "sessions" : {
>       "gs_363" : "$XDG_DATA_HOME/sessions/gs_364.ston"
>         },
>    "templates" : {
>       "system.conf" : "$XDG_DATA_HOME/templates/system.conf",
>       "gem.conf" : "$XDG_DATA_HOME/templates/gem.conf",
>       "stone_spec.ston" : "$XDG_DATA_HOME/templates/stone.ston",
>       "session_spec.ston" : "$XDG_DATA_HOME/templates/session.ston"
>       }
>    }

I think it would be relatively straightforward to write a set of
createStone, deleteStone, startStone, stopStone, startNetldi and
stopNetldi  .solo superDoit scripts[4]. My fist cut is planned to be a
standalone framework with the create/delete/stop/start scripts and the
registry that would support arbitrary stone directory structures ... then a
second cut would be made to integrate the support of GsDevKit_home into
GsDevKit_stones (replacing the use of the Pharo3 image in the various
GsDevKit_home bash scripts) ...

Settling on using XDG Base Directory Specification has basically settled
the "where do i put things" question.Of course, I understand that the XDG
Base Directory Specification is NOT supported on Mac, but it should be
relatively straightforward to map XDG_CONFIG_HOME and XDG_DATA_HOME to Mac
specific locations...I'd think?

I'm hoping that GsDevKit_stones will be able to supplant GsDevKit_home
moving forward. GsDevKit_home and tODE will fade away with Rowan and
Jadeite (for Windows, Linux, and Mac) picking up the slack ....

Since you and Jupiter last worked on the issue_260_2021 branch, we've
included superDoit support in the product (as of 3.6.4) and a port of
FileSystem to GemStone is planned to be included in 3.7.0. We've also been
steadily improving GsHostProcess for running system exectubles ... so if we
were to blow the dust off of issue_260_2021, we'd probably want to target
3.7.0 as the .solo script platform ...

Finally, my inclination is to focus efforts on GsDevKit_stones (with a
GsDevKit_home "bridge") ... Overall, the disk structure AND script
structure of GsDevKit_home is way more complicated than it needs to be and
I don't think that a one for one replacement of the GsDevKit Pharo image
and $GS_HOME/bin scripts is worth the effort ... a lot of the logic that is
distributed across multiple bash scripts and the Pharo image can be
consolidated in a set of core support classes  that can be shared across
multiple .solo scripts ...

Dale

[1] https://github.com/GsDevKit/GsDevKit_stones/tree/exp
[2] https://xdgbasedirectoryspecification.com/
[4] https://github.com/dalehenrich/superDoit

On Tue, Dec 27, 2022 at 4:42 AM Johan Brichau via Glass <