[Glass] How to start an eval of Gemsatone/S

charles at tradeblazer.com charles at tradeblazer.com
Tue Jan 18 08:28:16 PST 2022

James:

Well , the need is arguably subjective 😊i.e. I may prefer a number of cooperating lightweight services sprawled in whatever topology I may wish,  we have currently for example microservices that handle stuff from smtp notifications i.e. even FIX integrations , trade data STP/ETL integrations which in turn push stuff thru MQ , where there’s persistence for monitoring, audit purposes and a myriad of scenarios. Bundling all that stuff into GS seems “uncomfortable” for one.

Now, of course, although my email was a bit verbose I was still summarizing.

There are scenarios where it would be perfectly fine for the UI to talk to a “specific” microservice which may indeed be running within Gemstone.

I gather from your reply that the way that works is indeed thru a “rest”-ish API and the fact that a web socket implementation exists is great.

Yet I would still have a similar need from a headless Pharo process and it would seem that probably the “standard” comm is via REST i.e. to Gemstone?

No local FFI supported semantics ? I guess that’s ok.

BTW, I’m quite acquainted with Flutter and I do like it , i.e. mostly for what it delivers i.e. from one code base , its “pretty “ good at delivering multiple deployment outputs i.e. your desktop, web, iOS, android which look quite good.

However, Svelte is super fast but more importantly for me its data binding is so straightforward and clean that I can just RAD over it quicker, I’m looking also at using Svelte over Electron , and now there’s Tauri which seems interesting.

I’ll definitely look at your repo, it seems it may get me closer to where I want to go.

Thanks

Charles A. Monteiro
Chief Technology Officer
Datasoft, Inc