[Glass] How to start an eval of Gemsatone/S

James Foster Smalltalk at JGFoster.net
Thu Jan 20 00:24:39 PST 2022

Hi Charles,

1. To talk to GemStone from Pharo you can use the GCI library (with something like SparkleFFI (https://github.com/GemTalk/SparkleFFI) or something that talks directly to a Gem that has its own API (such as https://github.com/jgfoster/WebGS).

2. A Gem can be notified if an object changes and then it could notify a client. I believe that RemoteServiceReplication (https://github.com/GemTalk/RemoteServiceReplication) will (eventually) provide synchronization between GemStone and Pharo, but I’m not able to answer questions about it. With respect to supporting Web Sockets, WebGS (see #1) does have that capability. I’m not aware of any other messaging implementations.

3. As noted by others, GemConnect for Postgres (https://github.com/GemTalk/GemConnect-for-Postgres) is available under the MIT license.

4. The performance for MFC has _vastly_ improved. A job that took several days can now be done in a few hours with minimal disruption on regular operation. It is now very realistic to plan for 24x7 uptime (I understand that one customer schedules 1 day per year of downtime for upgrades, etc.).

5. GemStone runs fine under WSL 2. It runs under WSL 1 but required a special keyfile to get around WSL 1 bugs.

6. For an IDE you can use Topaz (for old-school vim/gdb users), GBS (if you have a license for VA or VW), Jadeite (https://github.com/GemTalk/Jadeite or its predecessor, Jade (https://github.com/jgfoster/Jade)), or experiment with Sparkle (https://github.com/GemTalk/Sparkle). To learn more about Sparkle I suggest you watch Martin McClure’s upcoming presentation (https://www.meetup.com/UKSTUG/events/282299228/ <https://www.meetup.com/UKSTUG/events/282299228/>).

James