[GemStone-Smalltalk] Is the Gemstone Install overly complicated?

Gareth Cox gareth at inspired.org
Mon Feb 5 03:38:32 PST 2024

Hi All

I've installed many different database systems of various types on
various operating systems and platforms.
I'm just wondering if I'm being unreasonable when I say that Gemstone is
the most complex install I've ever encountered, not just as a database
system, but as software in general.
Reading the install documentation I have to read until around page 17
before I get actual install instructions. Everything else is about
environment setup (Critical if you want Gemstone to work).
I also feel that a lot of the commands required for setting variables
and such could be done with an install script (I don't mind answering
questions to an install script).
Even things like netldi install could be an install script with
questions about what port, do you want to reload the systems database,
do you want to start netldi after install.
Its just incredibly manual and when something doesn't work (like the
aformentioned netldi), you're basically stuck until you can ask an
expert on the mailing lists.

A hobbist might relish the time spent doing all of these things and
trying to get it working on their custom linux distribution but a full
time employee who has been asked by their company to asses the system
for use in a furture product, I don't really have the time to spend
trying to get the system up and running, leaving me no time to actually
asses the system. A concern here is having to repeat his process for
each of our clients should the company choose gemstone.

Am I being unreasonable?

--
Gareth Cox

inspired!