[GemStone-Smalltalk] VAST12 64 bit Platform Client support on Windows 11

Richard Sargent richard.sargent at gemtalksystems.com
Tue Feb 27 10:08:01 PST 2024

See below.

On Tue, Feb 27, 2024 at 4:23 AM Gareth Cox via GemStone-Smalltalk <
gemstone-smalltalk at lists.gemtalksystems.com> wrote:

> Hi All
>
> I've got VAST 12 on windows (64 bit) and was curious if I could get it
> to connect to gemstone (running on a raspberry pi).

Although you mention running the server on the Pi, I think it is worth
pointing out that you can run VAST itself on a Pi.
We have run other versions of VAST on a Raspberry Pi, so do expect VAST 12
to work there as well.

Mariano Martinez Peck has demonstrated running a GBS application on a Pi
that interfaces with a temperature sensor and records readings in a
GemStone database..

> Topaz (on windows) connects to the gemstone server no problem.
> VAST12 won't load the libraries. This is most likely because the 64 bit
> dll provided is for visual works and the only VAST libraries are 32bit.
> Will there be a VAST 64 bit windows client library coming soon?

This is incorrect. The DLLs are independent of the client (Smalltalk or
other application).

GBS for VAST only supports the 32-bit library.
Unfortunately, adding 64-bit support is a huge engineering effort.

Recent *nix versions have made using 32-bit applications much more
challenging than in the past.

> (On a similar note, the documentation lists 3 files that need to be
> copied, but only two are available. The third is the vc runtime stuff.
> Presume I must find those elsewhere?)

I just looked at the 3.6.8 distribution and both the bin and bin32
directories include msvcr100.dll.

If you want to interface directly to the GCI library, refer to the
GemBuilder for C documentation. An application that only retrieves string
complicated, of course.
James Foster (https://github.com/jgfoster) has a number of projects on
GitHub, some of which could be used as a starting point for such an
interface.