[GemStone-Smalltalk] How to configure GS/S 6.1.2 through a firewall (blast from the past)

James Foster james.foster at gemtalksystems.com
Tue Feb 25 10:58:01 PST 2014

On Feb 25, 2014, at 10:41 AM, Normand Mongeau <nmongeau at videotron.ca> wrote:

> Gslist –c –v –l shows this :
>
> C:\GemStone61\bin>gslist -c -v -l
> Status   Version      Owner      Pid   Port   Started     Type  Name
> running  6.1.2     SYSTEM         3408 10088 Feb 25 09:09 Netldi netldi61
>   OK     6.1.2     SYSTEM         3696  1260 Feb 25 09:08 cache  icp1 at phatboy
> running  6.1.2     SYSTEM         3588  1270 Feb 25 09:08 Stone  icp1
>
> I set the environment variable through the Windows GUI (computer properties). It has worked since gslist no longer reports processes as being killed.
>
> And login with Topaz works fine. Everything works fine, except trying to connect using the WAN address instead of the LAN address. Even in my IDE (VA), I can connect using the GemStone Session Browser via the LAN address, but not the WAN address.

If you tell the Gem to connect to a local Stone, then it makes a local connection (internal) and does not raise any firewall issues. If you tell the Gem to connect to a remote Stone, then it makes a remote connection (external) and that connection can be blocked by a firewall. There are a number of connections needed between various processes and this has been made a bit easier over the years. For example, in 64-bit 3.0 and later you can set STN_WELL_KNOWN_PORT_NUMBER and SHR_WELL_KNOWN_PORT_NUMBER in the config file and that port will be used. Otherwise (and in your case) each time the stone and cache monitor start they pick a random port and note it in the locks file.

Is there a reason you need to use the WAN address? If things work with the LAN address why not use it?

James

P.S. When doing some of this research I found that 32-bit version 6.1.2 was built on 25-Feb-2004, exactly ten years ago today!