[GemStone-Smalltalk] Infamous ECONNRESET problem

Normand Mongeau nmongeau at theobjects.com
Wed Mar 19 09:19:15 PDT 2014

Client and server are on the same machine, yes. The error happens for an RPC
gem, and it happens immediately, i.e. before I ever get connected.

The logs show nothing unusual, for example my topaz gem is below.

But I just tried a linked topaz session and topaz just crashed.

But the Windows is unusual: it's virtualized on an Amazon cloud environment.
Maybe this is the problem? I thought it was Win 2008, but it appears as
"Windows ServerC Datacenter".

|    PROGRAM: GEM, GemStone Session Process
|

|    VERSION: 6.1.2, Wed Feb 25 15:46:30 US/Pacific 2004
|

|  BUILT FOR: Pentium/Windows_NT
|

| RUNNING ON: 2-CPU win-3p1plxh7j1y: Intel CPU, Windows NT 6.0 build 6002
Service

| Pack 2
|

| PROCESS ID: 2776      DATE: Wed 19 Mar 2014 16:16:05

|___________________________________________________________________________
__|

_

|                             Configuration Files
|

| System File: c:/GemStone61/data/system.conf
|

| Executable File: C:/users/default/gem.conf
|

| Warning:  File not found (The system cannot find the file specified.)
|

|           using defaults.

|___________________________________________________________________________
__|

_

|                Gem Configuration Options for process id 2776

|___________________________________________________________________________
__|

GEM_DETACH_PAGES_ON_COMMIT = TRUE;

GEM_DETACH_PAGES_ON_ABORT = TRUE;

DUMP_OPTIONS = TRUE;

GEM_DBF_FILE_LOCK = TRUE;

GEM_GCI_LOG_ENABLED = FALSE;

GEM_FREE_FRAME_LIMIT = -1;

GEM_HALT_ON_ERROR = 0;

GEM_IO_LIMIT = 5000;

GEM_MAX_SMALLTALK_STACK_DEPTH = 1000;

GEM_NATIVE_CODE_MAX = 8192;

GEM_NATIVE_CODE_THRESHOLD = 6;

GEM_NOT_CONNECTED_DELTA = 300;

GEM_NOT_CONNECTED_THRESHOLD = 2000;

GEM_PGSVR_FREE_FRAME_LIMIT = -1;

GEM_PRIVATE_PAGE_CACHE_KB = 200;

GEM_RPCGCI_TIMEOUT = 0;

GEM_TEMPOBJ_CACHE_SIZE = 600;

LOG_WARNINGS = TRUE;

SHR_NUM_FREE_FRAME_SERVERS = 1;

SHR_PAGE_CACHE_SIZE_KB = 10000;

SHR_PAGE_CACHE_NUM_PROCS = 256;

SHR_TARGET_FREE_FRAME_COUNT = -1;

[Info]: RPC client/gem/minimum GCI levels = 33/33/30

[Info]: User ID: superviseur

[Info]: Repository: icp1

[Info]: Session ID: 2