[GemStone-Smalltalk] A true community license

Charles Monteiro via GemStone-Smalltalk gemstone-smalltalk at lists.gemtalksystems.com
Thu Dec 1 09:25:55 PST 2016

We are using Jruby in the context of an SOA implementation i.e. a micro service that has persistence needs , there’s no UI involved per se. I’m accustomed to either doing REST or often loading a Java jar into Jruby and using Jruby’s much terser and arguably more ST like syntax to leverage whatever Java comm lib.

So trying to wrap Gemstone/S C libs or using CGI is a level of pain that I would not be used to or feel necessary in the context of what’s generally available today.

In other words I feel that Gembuilder/J should be available in some sort of open-source , free at least under certain circumstances scenario. Gemstone/S has a lot to offer but and many more may consider it if they could play with it without all that pain. That means folks used to leveraging JVM based languages at least the enterprise devs and therefore that means a Java lib.

I thought I saw the blurb about licensing and it just directed me to talk to my Gemstone/S Sales rep, but I will check your link.

Re: Mongo and Redis, what I mean to say is that if I want to use either of these DB technologies I can very easily do so and from typical modern ways without constraints. I know you all have to eat but I’m sorry this just reminds me of why Smalltalk got relegated back to the island it was born from, the balloon deflated under all the weight that vendors have burdened it with.

Re: my Seaside comment, what I was alluding to was that I am aware one can leverage Gemstone / S from Seaside but that I did not want to use Seaside to front an RPC protocol to my app.

Recap:

You all should make Gembuilder/J libs free and should consider that you will make your money once a project deploys a large enough installation of Gemstone/S , never mind consulting fees from onboarded projects.

Hope all is well

thanks

Charles

--