[GemStone-Smalltalk] A true community license

Mariano Martinez Peck via GemStone-Smalltalk gemstone-smalltalk at lists.gemtalksystems.com
Thu Dec 1 10:29:53 PST 2016

On Thu, Dec 1, 2016 at 2:25 PM, Charles Monteiro via GemStone-Smalltalk <
gemstone-smalltalk at lists.gemtalksystems.com> wrote:

> We are using Jruby in the context of an SOA implementation i.e. a micro
> service that has persistence needs , there’s no UI involved per se. I’m
> accustomed to either doing REST or often loading a Java jar into Jruby and
> using Jruby’s much terser and arguably more ST like syntax to leverage
> whatever Java comm lib.

So trying to wrap Gemstone/S C libs or using CGI is a level of pain that I
> would not be used to or feel necessary in the context of what’s generally
> available today.

But..above you said you are used to do REST. The GemStone free license has
NOTHING coupled to Web. I mean, yes, it provides some compatibility
packages and some tools (and ported libs) to make it easier to run web
frameworks like Seaside. But at the end, its a normal gemstone running a
normal extent.

As far as I know, you are NOT restricted to do web in the free license. So,
why you cannot simply use Zinc (or any other web server running in
GemStone) and provide a REST api with JSON to your clients?

Cheers,