[GemStone-Smalltalk] GemStone code management techniques

Bruce Badger via GemStone-Smalltalk gemstone-smalltalk at lists.gemtalksystems.com
Mon Dec 4 07:03:48 PST 2017

1)      What tools/editors do you use for writing GS Smalltalk code?
I tend to develop using VisualWorks.  I write my code against the
Sport portabilily library, so my code runs unaltered in GemStone.  My
applications run as a web service within GemStone.

2)      What packaging system do you use for organising your code and
separating out your extensions to core classes from GemTalk Systems'
own code?
I try really hard to not change any shipped code.  So far, I have
never had to modify shipped VW or GS code.  I wrap system code to
achieve what I need (e.g. Sport).

3)      Which version control system do you use, and in what kind of
structure do you store your code (what does one file in your source
code repository represent, if file-based)?  How do you extract a
deployable set of changes from your version control system?
I use Store for my code.  When I deploy I generate one .gs file per package

4)      What mechanism do you use for uploading code to your
production GemStone DB?
I use a GemStone script to file the new code into a new user account
and attach the root of my object model in GS to a name in the name
space of the new user, then I run the code which does any upgrades
needed.