[GemStone-Smalltalk] Error with netldi, the connection to the repository is never made and the port becomes blocked

James Foster via GemStone-Smalltalk gemstone-smalltalk at lists.gemtalksystems.com
Wed Mar 22 15:57:10 PDT 2017

Hi Ezequiel,

This is indeed interesting (and not in a good way). The netldid daemon process should simply start the new gem process and continue listening for other requests. With netstat you have confirmed that netldid is holding the socket. The next thing would be to get a C stack to see where netldid is hung.

With a clean startup before any connections, identify the PID for the netldid process (e.g., ‘gslist -l’) and send it a special signal:
$ kill -SIGUSR1 <PID>
The signal (which can be abbreviated as simply ‘usr1’) is interpreted by GemStone processes as an instruction to write the current C-level stack to the current log. Look for the netldi log (if you don’t know where it is try ‘gslist -x’) and go to the end and find the SIGUSR1 output. When idle, there should be something like ‘NetHibernateNoAction’ a few frames above main.

Once you have the “normal” behavior, try your experiment that hangs and send it the signal. We are particularly interested in that stack. Wait ~30 seconds and repeat a couple times to see if it is in a tight loop or waiting on something. Let us know what that shows.

Also, I’d be interested in what MW thinks is its name and IP address, and if that name and IP can be pinged from ML. Try this in both the wired network and VPN configuration.

Finally, are there any other useful services on ML? For example, if it has a web server then it would be interesting to see how a web browser on MW reacted (though this is essentially what you confirmed with ping).

James