[GemStone-Smalltalk] Error with netldi, the connection to the repository is never made and the port becomes blocked

brianstone via GemStone-Smalltalk gemstone-smalltalk at lists.gemtalksystems.com
Tue Mar 28 12:49:39 PDT 2017

Hi James,

I made the tests you mentioned, I have obtained the following results:

1) Trying to ping MW from ML using name or IP, works. I can state that each
machine 'sees' each other in the network.

2) I figured out that netldi is not finished normally when it was hang. It
is killed instead of finish normally.
    I try to stop it using 'stopnetldi' command:
             stopnetldi gs64ldi-3281
             stopnetldi[Info]: GemStone version '3.2.8.1'
             stopnetldi[Info]: GemStone server 'gs64ldi-3281' has been
stopped.
    Then I check if the netldi was terminated and I se the following:
             gslist -l
             Status       Version    Owner    Pid   Port   Started     Type
Name
             -------     --------- --------- ----- ----- ------------ ------
----
             *killed*      3.2.8.1   gemst643281 16056 50387 Mar 28 15:49
Netldi      gs64ldi-3281
             exists      3.2.8.1   gemst643281 15396 39139 Mar 28 15:10
cache       newRepositorystone~7663a27bab8c7a96
             exists      3.2.8.1   gemst643281 15394 41387 Mar 28 15:10
Stone       newRepositorystone

3) I made tests sending SIGUSR1 signal to netldi process, I've noted some
differences between a 'normal' log, and a log with the netldi hung, but I
could not detect where the problem is.
Maybe you can read it better, I have attached three files.

        a) The first, named "netldi-1.log" have the log resulting of make
this actions:
               -Start netldi
               -Send SIGUSR1 signal
               -Establish a session using Jade from a VPN connection
               -Send SIGUSR1 signal
               -Stop netldi

        b)The second file, named "netldi-2.log", have the log resulting of
make this actions :
               -Start netldi
               -Send SIGUSR1 signal
               -Try to establish a session using Jade from Wired connection
               -Send SIGUSR1 signal
               -Stop netldi

        c) And the third named as "netldi-3.log", have the same content as
the 2nd but with some additionals SIGUSR1 signals sent to the netldi.

netldi-1.log <http://forum.world.st/file/n4940263/netldi-1.log>

netldi-2.log <http://forum.world.st/file/n4940263/netldi-2.log>

netldi-3.log <http://forum.world.st/file/n4940263/netldi-3.log>

I hope this information will be useful.

Regarding about an additional useful service on the server, I'm afraid that
there is not something that can help us.
But I will try to install apache, or NodeJS or something in order to start a
little web server. I don't know when I will have the time to make this
tests, but I'll try to make it as soon as possible.

Tell me if you need some additional information, please.

Ezequiel