[GemStone-Smalltalk] Error with netldi, the connection to the repository is never made and the port becomes blocked

James Foster via GemStone-Smalltalk gemstone-smalltalk at lists.gemtalksystems.com
Tue Mar 28 13:50:37 PDT 2017

Hi Ezequiel,

This is very helpful information. Let me summarize the information I got from the log files:

netldi-1.log (successful connection)
Before connection frame 8 is in waitForEvents when interrupted by signal handler.
After connection frame 8 is again in waitForEvents, as it should be.

netldi-3.log (failed connection)
Before connection frame 8 is in waitForEvents (as above).
After connection things are very different:
#6  <signal handler called>
#7  poll () from /lib64/libc.so.6
#8  __libc_res_nsend () from /lib64/libresolv.so.2
#9  __libc_res_nquery () from /lib64/libresolv.so.2
#10 _nss_dns_gethostbyaddr2_r () from /lib64/libnss_dns.so.2
#11 _nss_dns_gethostbyaddr_r () from /lib64/libnss_dns.so.2
#12 gethostbyaddr_r@@GLIBC_2.2.5 () from /lib64/libc.so.6
#13 getnameinfo () from /lib64/libc.so.6
#14 SocketGetPeerInfo () at build37291/src/socket.c:1714
#15 getServiceForClient () at build37291/src/nldicmn.c:1079
As requested, you repeated the signal after short pauses, and each of the three signals showed the process stuck in the same place (so either hung or a tight loop). So, the GemStone code (frame 14) is calling getnameinfo() in libc and it fails to return. In frames 10/11 we can see that it is attempting to do a DNS lookup of the host by the address.

You were able to ping to MW from ML using both name and IP (as I suggested). The next thing to try is to see if name lookup works from the command line. After a ping gives you the IP address, try ‘host’ and ‘nslookup’ with the IP address as the argument. This should return the name (with other information).

A brief Google search suggests that this may be an OS bug and might be fixed by upgrading your Linux kernel. See http://stackoverflow.com/questions/35880798/java-dns-resolution-hangs-forever <http://stackoverflow.com/questions/35880798/java-dns-resolution-hangs-forever>. As a work-around, you might add MW to the /etc/hosts file on ML. This might avoid going to the DNS for the lookup.

Alternatively, you could upgrade to GS/S 3.2.15 (or 3.3.3) and use the -N option on startnetldi to avoid the name lookup entirely. See https://downloads.gemtalksystems.com/docs/GemStone64/3.2.x/GS64-ReleaseNotes-3.2.15/1-ReleaseNotes.htm#pgfId-1613796 <https://downloads.gemtalksystems.com/docs/GemStone64/3.2.x/GS64-ReleaseNotes-3.2.15/1-ReleaseNotes.htm#pgfId-1613796>.

Let us know what you find!

James