[GemStone-Smalltalk] Beginner questions about Gemstone and Pharo

Mariano Martinez Peck via GemStone-Smalltalk gemstone-smalltalk at lists.gemtalksystems.com
Wed Oct 4 05:36:06 PDT 2017

On Wed, Oct 4, 2017 at 6:03 AM, Cyril Ferlicot D. via GemStone-Smalltalk <
gemstone-smalltalk at lists.gemtalksystems.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Yesterday I started to look into Gemstone, I followed the documentation on
> GsDevKit_home github page[1], and now... I have beginner questions :)

Hi Cyril, nice to see you around here!

> 1) I saw that there is a way to directly install Seaside in Gemstone with
> GsDevKit_home. But it seems that it uses the version 3.1 of Seaside, but we
> use 3.2 at our company. Is it possible to use another version of Seaside
> without problem?

Yeah, that Seaside project inside GsDevKit_home was kind of both things
together...a port of Seaside code from shub to Git (and GemStone) as well
as some extensions (scripts) for running Seaside on Gs (like starting and
stopping gems etc). I think that project was BEFORE the existance of
https://github.com/SeasideSt/Seaside

I haven't use this myself so I cannot comment much more.

> In that case how can we load another version of Seaside? Via Metacello in
> a workspace?

That's one way, and that's what I do. In my case, I have a
ConfigurationOfMyApp which loads Seaside in different ways in Pharo and in
GemStone (I can share the Configuration of with you if you want).  For
example, you can do this:

Metacello new
   baseline: 'Seaside3';
   repository: 'github://SeasideSt/Seaside:v3.2.4/repository';
   get;
   load: #('Core' 'Zinc-Seaside' 'Javascript' 'JQuery' 'JSON' 'FastCGI'
'Email' 'Filesystem' 'CI');
   lock.

How do we manage to start and stop seaside gems if we install Seaside via
> Metacello?

That's excellent question. In my case, I use some fork of the original bash
scripts that come with GemStone to start/stop seaside gems. Those are in
$GEMSTONE/seaside/bin
Try looking in

$GS_HOME/shared/downloads/products/GemStone64BitXXX-x86_64.Linux/seaside/bin

BTW, in my opinion those scripts are still a bit limited. I have improved
them but I am not sure how to share them back into the product. If you want
them, let me know and I can send it to you. Maybe Dale has a better
recommendation for sharing this kind of thing.

> 2) We currently have all our tools in Pharo and we want to deploy on
> Gemstone. It's a little fuzzy for me currently to know how to do that.
>
> Should we create a tode project  for each of our projects and
> dependencies? If yes, is there a tutorial somewhere about how to do it? In
> the documentation[1], I only found how to create a new project from
> scratch.
>
> Or should we just use Metacello in a workspace?

I use Metacello in a workspace and I load my code with Metacello and Gofer.
Similarly as I do in Pharo but on GemStone. As you correctly say, GsDevKit
/ tODE supports "projects" but I have never use them so I cannot say much.
I think Dale recommends using Projects ...

> I think it will be a good beginning. When I will know the answers I will
> probably have more questions.

Welcome. Ask as much as you need!