[GemStone-Smalltalk] Beginner questions about Gemstone and Pharo

Cyril Ferlicot D. via GemStone-Smalltalk gemstone-smalltalk at lists.gemtalksystems.com
Wed Oct 4 02:03:47 PDT 2017

Hi,

Yesterday I started to look into Gemstone, I followed the documentation on GsDevKit_home github page[1], and now... I have beginner questions :)

1) I saw that there is a way to directly install Seaside in Gemstone with GsDevKit_home. But it seems that it uses the version 3.1 of Seaside, but we use 3.2 at our company. Is it possible to use another version of Seaside without problem?

In that case how can we load another version of Seaside? Via Metacello in a workspace? How do we manage to start and stop seaside gems if we install Seaside via Metacello?

2) We currently have all our tools in Pharo and we want to deploy on Gemstone. It's a little fuzzy for me currently to know how to do that.

Should we create a tode project  for each of our projects and dependencies? If yes, is there a tutorial somewhere about how to do it? In the documentation[1], I only found how to create a new project from scratch.

Or should we just use Metacello in a workspace?

I think it will be a good beginning. When I will know the answers I will probably have more questions.

Thank you in advance.

[1] https://github.com/GsDevKit/GsDevKit_home

--
Cyril Ferlicot