[GemStone-Smalltalk] Problems starting my stone.

Dale Henrichs dale.henrichs at gemtalksystems.com
Mon Oct 21 09:22:54 PDT 2019

It looks like you may have run out of shared memory on your mac ...
there are two ways this can happen:

 1. you've got too many stones running and consuming shared memory or
    you've got some "orphaned" gems or other processes attached to
    shared memory --- the shared memory segments are not released until
    all of the processes terminate
      * take a look at the number of stones  that you are running and
        determine if you need them all and make sure that all of the
        $GEMSTONE processes are accounted for
 2. on the mac, I recall that there used to be a bug where shared memory
    was not properly cleaned up and that one had to reboot to set things
    right ...
      * if you have no other stones running then this might be the issue
 3. you could have other programs that are not related to GemStone
    consuming shared memory ...
     1. `ipcs -mp` (at least on Ubunutu 18.04) lists the creator PIDS,
        so you should be able to determine which process is responsible
        for creating the shared memory and deal with it appropriately

As a last resort (in case you are plagued by item 2) a reboot should get
you going again ...

Dale