[GemStone-Smalltalk] Problems starting my stone.

Dale Henrichs dale.henrichs at gemtalksystems.com
Wed Oct 23 15:10:21 PDT 2019

I saw Apps in your path and figured (wrongly) that you were running on a
mac with the known problem .... I've never seen a problem with shared
memory on a linux system that wasn't caused by anything but "not enough
shared memory" ..

In this particular case it seems that the `AllocateMemory` error is
likely that there isn't enough swap space for the stopStone gem to run
.. this is the analysis of our vm engineer:

    GemStone has done an mmap( MAP_NORESERVE ) of a large memory region (perhaps 100MB)
    A subsequent mmap( MAP_PRIVATE | MAP_FIXED )  to bring into
    use a small part (64KB) of that region has failed.

    Check the memory summary as shown by /usr/bin/top
    and possibly sort the output of top by memory usage (interactive top, M key )
    to find unexpected old processes holding a lot of memory .

    How much swap do you have configured ?   check with  /sbin/swapon - s  .
    We recommend at least 1GB swap for 8GB Ram.  mmap can fail prematurely
    if there is no swap configured.

    If you don't have any swap partitions,
    you can create a swap file on a filesystem
       fallocate --length 1GiB swapfile
       mkswap  swapfile
       swapon  swapfile
    Then add an entry /etc/fstab  , sequenced after mounting the file system of swapfile
    to automatically mount the swap file at next reboot.

Dale