[Glass] AlmostOutOfMemory in Seaside but not from GemTools...

Mariano Martinez Peck marianopeck at gmail.com
Thu Dec 12 14:04:10 PST 2013

Hi guys,

I have a "large" report that reads some CSV files, process them and output
a result.
If I run the report from a unit test in GemTools, it works perfect. But
when I run it from a Seaside request (it is the same report), my seaside
gems are crashed with an out of memory:

GemStone: Error         Nonfatal
a AlmostOutOfMemory occurred (notification 6013), Session's temporary
object memory is almost full
Error Category: 231169 [GemStone] Number: 6013  Arg Count: 1 Context :
1745804545 exception : 1745804801
Arg 1: [20 sz:0 cls: 76289 UndefinedObject] nil

I have placed many "System _tempObjSpacePercentUsed" along my report but up
to the last print it was 30% (from seaside)....  When I run it locally, i
doesn't go even more than 20%.

I did my homework and read almost every chapter related to this topic. My
conf has:

SHR_PAGE_CACHE_SIZE_KB = 2000000;
GEM_TEMPOBJ_CACHE_SIZE = 1800000;

Yes, I read this as well:
http://gemstonesoup.wordpress.com/2008/11/19/gemstone-101-managing-out-of-memory-situations/

but I don't know how to do that from seaside. Doing a

 System signalAlmostOutOfMemoryThreshold: *75*.

just before executing my report (in the seaside callback) ... but nothing
happens and the gems crash anyway.

This report takes normally like 4 minutes. I know....I cannot hung a gem
serving a request that takes 4 mins, but that will take more time to fix
it. So first I want the report working even if the gem is hung. Maybe this
is something related to  STN_GEM_ABORT_TIMEOUT or something like that?
Something related to that is in the startSeaside30_adaptor and the FastCGI
one...yes, my report take 4 mins.

Any other idea? I also run the statmonitor and I have a statmon file to
inspect with VSD.

I really don't understand why the same code would work in GemTools but not
when called from Seaside.

Thanks in advance!!!