[Glass] Debugging in GemTools and "undefined symbol"

Dale K. Henrichs dale.henrichs at gemtalksystems.com
Tue Dec 17 09:39:35 PST 2013

----- Original Message -----

| From: "Mariano Martinez Peck" <marianopeck at gmail.com>

| |

| |

| | | Subject: Re: [Glass] Debugging in GemTools and "undefined symbol"
| |

| | | On Tue, Dec 17, 2013 at 11:48 AM, Johan Brichau <
| | | johan at yesplan.be
| | | >
| | | wrote:
| |

> [...]
| | |
| |

| | | Ok, I feel better I am not the only one ;)
| |

| | |
| |

| | | Indeed.
| |

| | | But my question was more about if it was a problem of GemTools
| | | (hoping tODE could solve this) or a more technical problem (like
| | | context reification , debugger temp map, etc...)
| |

| | Frankly I don't recall the technical reason that temps
|
| Actually is neither temps or instance variables. The only thing I
| seem to have access to is "self".

| | were not made available in the GemTools debugger ... our compiler
| | is
| | written in C and does not have as many entry points as the Pharo
| | compiler so "faking a method context" when doing evaluation within
| | debugger frame could be a bit difficult to accomplish ... then
| | again, I might not have been smart enough when I wrote the debugger
| | chunk ...
|

| I can imagine the difficulties, that's why I asked ;)

| OK, so at least you confirm the limitations and I am not doing
| something wrong.

| | I haven't added menus to the text windows yet in tODE, but now that
| | you've mentioned this I will take a closer look at making this
| | happen in tODE ...
|

| I don't know what you mean by "added menus to the text windows".
| For me, there most important thing from GemTools is the ability to
| debug a problem from the ObjectLog. So..that's why I would like the
| most from tODE: the debugger.

There is a reason that you are not using tODE today (actually several:) ... I have a list of `must have` features to add to tODE[1] before letting folks use it and adding menus to text windows as well as debugging ObjectLog are on the list ...I have been focusing on the "new and different" capabilities/functionality of tODE at the expense of not addressing the "obviously needed but relatively straightforward" capabilities/functionality ...

The base _has_ to be solid before building too much on top of it:).

I _am_ making slow, but steady progress[2].

Dale

[1] https://github.com/dalehenrich/tode/issues?direction=desc&page=1&sort=updated&state=open
[2] https://github.com/dalehenrich/tode/commits/dev