[Glass] Is it ok to directly kill seaside gems to stop?

Dale K. Henrichs dale.henrichs at gemtalksystems.com
Thu Dec 19 11:55:36 PST 2013

It is safe to use `kill` on topaz, gems, and stoned ... you can use `kill -9` but you risk a non-clean shutdown of the process. It is sorta safe to use `kill -9` on a topaz or gemtools gem. `kill -9` can also be used on the stone process but only when a `kill` is not working (look in the stone log for clues) ... if you kill -9 a stoned process you might have recover form tranlogs ... after using `kill -9` you will want to check the status of shared memory and if there are shared memory segments hanging around there may be some additional gemstone processes still "alive" and they should be killed ... and if the shared memory is still around you can remove the shared memory segment ...

Do not kill the "cache" process (from gslist) ... this is the process that should clean up the SPC ... if you kill this guy then you will definitely clean up the shared memory segments ...

Dale