[Glass] Is it ok to directly kill seaside gems to stop?

Mariano Martinez Peck marianopeck at gmail.com
Thu Dec 19 12:01:25 PST 2013

On Thu, Dec 19, 2013 at 4:55 PM, Dale K. Henrichs <
dale.henrichs at gemtalksystems.com> wrote:

> It is safe to use `kill` on  topaz, gems, and stoned ... you can use `kill
> -9` but you risk a non-clean shutdown of the process. It is sorta safe to
> use `kill -9` on a topaz or gemtools gem. `kill -9` can also be used on the
> stone process but only when a `kill` is not working (look in the stone log
> for clues) ... if you kill -9 a stoned process you might have recover form
> tranlogs ... after using `kill -9` you will want to check the status of
> shared memory and if there are shared memory segments hanging around there
> may be some additional gemstone processes still "alive" and they should be
> killed ... and if the shared memory is still around you can remove the
> shared memory segment ...
>
> Do not kill the "cache" process (from gslist) ... this is the process that
> should clean up the SPC ... if you kill this guy then you will definitely
> clean up the shared memory segments ...

But then I am right that #close is not being send to web adaptors when we
stop the seaside gems using WAGemStoneRunSeasideGems. So if adaptors need
to do some external cleanings or something (inside #close) then sending
kill wouldn't be bad? And what about the shutdown list? and ......
Maybe the gem can catch the kill signal and perform that as Pharo's
"Smalltalk snapshot: false andQuit: true" ?
or maybe you don't care at all because the session won't be committed?

Thanks for the clarification!