[Glass] Fwd: Swazoo server hangs

Otto Behrens otto at finworks.biz
Fri Nov 1 07:44:46 PDT 2013

Thanks, Paul.

> Does your monitor process kill & restart all the Swazoo servers at once or one at a time as it detects the misbehaving?  I know you can setup daemontools to kill one at a time if you're not already e.g.

We kill one at a time. A cron job. Daemontools start it up again when
it sees the process is dead.

> http://stackoverflow.com/questions/10650686/how-to-supervise-a-webserver-with-daemontools/10663912#10663912

This looks like a good solution - perhaps even better than a cron job.
But the result should be the same though.

> Can you use the FastCGI server which I think was officially supported for 2.4?  As far as I know Zinc works on 2.4 and people use it in production, but others would be better able to address its suitability. As a test you could add a Zinc and/or FastCGI server or two to your pool of 4 Swazoo servers and see if things change for the better.

We initially used FastCGI but then switched to Hyper and then Swazoo,
simply because it was easier for us to debug as we can use something
like curl to do a get and see what the server pops up. I suppose that
if fast cgi has some nice tools to talk to the GS FastCGI server it
would be as good. But don't you like the simplicity of talking HTTP
all the way through? Why must FastCGI be better?