[Glass] Swazoo server hangs

Johan Brichau johan at yesplan.be
Wed Nov 6 10:52:34 PST 2013

On 06 Nov 2013, at 16:27, Dale K. Henrichs <dale.henrichs at gemtalksystems.com> wrote:

> According to Google Issue #341, there might be a correlation to commit conflicts and I mention a suspicion about ensure blocks ... the issue with ensure blocks is that when an error occurs during the execution of ensure blocks, the rest of the ensure blocks might not get evaluated ... so this vulnerability may be causing Swazoo to misbehave as well ...

That's interesting intel. I never understood your mention of 'ensure block' bug that way.
I'll take a look because it does ring a bell that the last things that seems to show up in the gem log before the unresponsiveness are commit conflict retries...

> Johan, it might be worth adding some logging in the ensure blocks associated with the gateSemaphore to eliminate this as a possible problem..

Yes, that is a good idea.
Just today I eliminated my previous suspicion that socket disconnects by the front-end server might be related to this. I managed to confirm they are not related at all.

But weeks may go by before we hit this bug at over 50K requests per day on a single stone with 3 seaside gems, so it's not _that_ common.

Johan