[Glass] Basic questions regarding GemBuilder for Smalltalk, GemTools, and tODE

Mariano Martinez Peck marianopeck at gmail.com
Wed Nov 13 06:23:41 PST 2013

> > Now that I have this thread already open ;) I wonder if someone has ever
> written some "port rules" or things to be aware when deploying to GemStone.
> I guess certain Pharo kernel classes/methods may not exist or answer
> something different, etc... And I think the answer would be around Grease?
>  In other words, what I ask is the following: imagine (it is not the case
> unfortunately) I don't use any other library than seaside/magritte. What
> are the things that would make the port to gemstone complicated? Is there
> any list or conventions somewhere?
>
> It depends a bit what you will be making. If it's a Seaside app, the
> chances are that most things that work in Pharo will also work in GLASS. I
> am saying GLASS because the additions in GLASS to Gemstone are what makes
> it behave sufficiently close to a Pharo with image-based persistency.
>
> There are a couple of differences we learned to "know" and there are
> things we wrapped in a compatibility package (some parts contributed back
> but most pending).
> We also used an Abstract Factory pattern to differentiate those parts of
> the application that need Gemstone-specific code. This is mostly when we
> are dealing with indexes or some very specific Gemstone stuff we came to
> use over the years.

Hi Johan,

I am interested in that compatibility package. When you said that some
parts were already contributed, does it mean they are already as part of
GLASS or there is some package around I am not aware of?

I am starting to create my own compatibility (with the try and error method
hahah) package but I wonder if we can reuse or maybe move some general
parts to GLASS...

Thanks!