[Glass] loading seaside and zinc

Mariano Martinez Peck marianopeck at gmail.com
Thu Nov 14 13:06:28 PST 2013

On Thu, Nov 14, 2013 at 5:54 PM, Johan Brichau <johan at yesplan.be> wrote:

> Mariano,
>
> Yes, we also use Swazoo when Gemstone is running on our development
> machine. I would never use it for production (rather use FastCGI behind
> nginx) but for development setups, it does the job.
>
> Mind that we start it as follows:
>
> WAGemStoneRunSeasideGems default
>         name: 'Swazoo';
>         adaptorClass: WAGsSwazooAdaptor;
>         ports: #(8383).
> WAGemStoneRunSeasideGems restartGems.

Cool. I will try with that and come back once I have experimented a bit.

> Running the other snippet below works but we also got strange behavior
> when using that. Now, that also dates back to the time we started with
> Gemstone, but I seem to remember we noted that using the following snippet
> to start swazoo from gemtools was not a reliable way to run the app.
>
> WAGsSwazooAdaptor startOn: 8383.
>
> Besides that, how are you starting the Zinc adaptor?

(WAGsZincAdaptor port: 8888) start.

> I would want to quickly setup an extent here with a Zinc server so I can
> check out what the problems are. Since a lot of people are interested, it's
> worth diving into.

What I did is I loaded latest GLASS and Metacello and then I did:

  Metacello new
          baseline: 'Zinc';
          repository: 'github://glassdb/zinc:gemstone3.1/repository';
          load: 'Tests'.
        Metacello new
          configuration: 'Seaside3';
          repository:
              '
http://smalltalkhub.com/mc/Seaside/MetacelloConfigurations/main';
          version: '3.0.9';
          load: #('Core' 'Zinc-Seaside')

But one of my problems with Zinc might be the "expected" behavior in
GemStone. I paste what I have asked today in another thread:

*Another question....maybe weird.... when I launch zinc like this: *

*(WAGsZincAdaptor port: 8888) start.*

*I do it as a "do it" in the GemClient workspace. When I do that, the UI is
not responsive anymore and the gemstone cursor appears. It only goes away
when I manually interrupt it of i a debugger comes. When that happens...
the zinc server is down!!  So I have to re-start zinc after each debug? I
can imagine that maybe this is because Zinc was started from a Gem or
something in my GemClient and when I interrupt that I might be kick off or
something and cleans what I did...*

*So I wonder, is this the correct way to run the web adaptor?  Or I have to
run the adaptor inside a transaction (so that I could remain after):*

*MCPlatformSupport commitOnAlmostOutOfMemoryDuring: [ *

*(WAGsZincAdaptor port: 8888) start.*

*]*