[Glass] Alternatives for HTTPS client

Mariano Martinez Peck marianopeck at gmail.com
Fri Nov 15 10:14:56 PST 2013

On Fri, Nov 15, 2013 at 2:33 PM, Dale K. Henrichs <
dale.henrichs at gemtalksystems.com> wrote:

> Mariano,
>
> One of the motivations for porting Zinc is to get to the point where we
> can port Zodiac as well, but we are not quite there yet .. It turns that
> Sean Allen wrote a post about https clients and GLASS (GsWebEdition?

YESSSSS GsWebEdition!!!! :)

> )[1] ... then you can use the Zinc client code to do https connects ... I
> do believe that the Zinc client code is pretty solid, but Johan should let
> us know the details ...

Hi Dale.

Yes, I knew the alternative of using a proxy (wether the webserver or
tunneling). But, for my usage, it is a pain. Why?  These Financial
Institutions are domain objects. They could be added by the user. The URL
are provided by the user. And then they can connect. So with this approach
what I would need to do is:

1) For each add of those objects, I would need to automatically append an
entry in the configuration file of the webserver or tunneling.
2) Add an entry in hosts
3) Define a pattern to convert from the originalURL to the proxy one
4) Depend on tunneling or have to use an external webserver even for
development...
5) Have a completely separate logic than pharo.

But yes, I agree, we don't have much other choices. Thanks for your
suggestion.

I was thinking something similar to what John suggest. Let me reply below
his answer.