[Glass] Host OS crash and GemStone

James Foster james.foster at gemtalksystems.com
Tue Oct 29 09:38:46 PDT 2013

Hi Bruno,

What you did is exactly right. The ‘lock’ files are created when a process starts and deleted when the process exits normally. If the process dies (not normally), then the lock file remains and the next startup attempt will fail because it thinks that something else is running. The solution (as you found) is to delete the lock files.

A slightly safer approach is gslist with the ‘-c’ option to ‘cleanup’ stale locks. (This is only safer in the sense that you might accidentally delete a lock file for a running process.)

Because of the situation you describe, I’ve sometimes included a system start-up script that simply deletes everything in the locks directory on the general principle that if the system is starting then none of my processes are running yet.

James