[Glass] sources of idle time when running tests?

Richard Sargent richard.sargent at gemtalksystems.com
Tue Sep 17 14:14:06 PDT 2013

Paul DeBruicker wrote
> it shows a run time of 232 ms, but also takes about a half minute.  If I
> put the ProfMonitor send in a timeToRun block then I get a run time
> thats around 33,000ms as well.

Paul,

I don't know if this is the same thing I saw, but it seems suspiciously like
it. I was running some code which was writing out a lot of files. It was
also taking a long time, about 60x longer than I thought it should take.

In my case, I was writing to a non-local file system, so there was NFS
latency involved in the process.

Another alternative would be to check whether running these tests involves
writing to files (test logs, or anything else) and determine whether GsFile
is writing to the server or to the client. Writing to the client will be
enormously slower than writing to the server.

Let us know. Thanks,
Richard