[Glass] case insensitive search broken for Unicode7

Mariano Martinez Peck marianopeck at gmail.com
Wed Apr 16 13:24:58 PDT 2014

On Fri, Mar 28, 2014 at 2:55 PM, Dale Henrichs <
dale.henrichs at gemtalksystems.com> wrote:

> Pieter,
>
> The engineer responsible for the ICU implementation has been on vacation
> all week, so I haven't had a chance to  discuss the
> #_findString:startingAt:ignoreCase: issue with him ...
>
> With that said we have been "discovering" things about mixed
> Unicode[7|16|32] (where a collator is always used) and
> [DoubleByte|QuadByte]String classes and the basic conclusion that we've
> come to is that:
>
>    "it does not make sense to attempt to perfomed mixed comparisons
>     between Unicode* and *String instances"

Dale,

While I understand such conclusion, I think this is a different discussion
than the one I originally pasted, isn't it?

('Newmont' asUnicodeString _findString: 'newm' asUnicodeString startingAt:
1 ignoreCase: true) > 0

answers false and in this case I am not mixing anything...both are
Unicode7. So what I mean is that this is broken even without mixing.

Also...note that users may be comparing/mixing Unicode* and String* WITHOUT
knowing. For example...in my case, I don't know how but I get Unicode7 from
a combo list from a magritte form.... (of course, in Pharo I get a String)
and then I search over that result.... So if you were to choose "Legacy
comparison mode" for GLASS...then we should at least avoid using Unicode
classes in Seaside/magritte. Otherwise it would be a pain to maintain a
working system for Pharo and GemStone.  So..this is just to agree that
 "Unicode
comparison mode" would be better for GLASS ?

Thanks,