[Glass] Develop Gemstone web server app in VW but deploy in Pharo?

FrankB kontakt at pressburgservices.com
Fri Apr 25 09:44:52 PDT 2014

Hello,

I am evaluating how to develop a new and very complex web server application
for a potential mass-market using Gemstone.

Most of the application code does already exist in VW5 (several man years)
using a RDBMS for storage. This caused great performance problems and was
the show killer.

We are having a VW7 license and we consider using VW7 for development but we
are not willing to accept Cincom's insane slavery-like licensing conditions
where they profit from our revenues and confiscate about half of our
profits. That is worse than the tax office / IRS.

Moving all our development tools to Pharo would require far too much work
and delay.

This is why the idea came up to use VW7 with Gemstone purely for development
and Pharo with Gemstone for deployment.

What is your opinion?
Is that feasible?
Can the porting process of the app code be made (almost) automatic?
Has it been done?

Thank you very much for any comment.

Regards
FrankB