[Glass] Compacting extent as part of the daily cleanup/backup scripts? Re: Compact a extend0.dbf

Mariano Martinez Peck marianopeck at gmail.com
Mon Aug 18 10:58:34 PDT 2014

On Sat, Jun 7, 2014 at 9:55 AM, Dale Henrichs <
dale.henrichs at gemtalksystems.com> wrote:

> Dario,
>
> The procedure for compacting extent files is:
>
>   1. make a full backup
>   2. shut down stone
>   3. cp a virgin extent ($GEMSTONE/bin/extent0.seaside.dbf) into your
>       data directory
>   4. start stone
>   5 restore from backup

Hi Dale,

I had a similar scenario today. My extent is about 11GB and 9GB out of them
are free. I get that doing   '(SystemRepository freeSpace / 1024 / 1024 )
asFloat  greaseString'.
So...yes, yeah, I would like to compact this extent.

Now...I have backup and cleanup strings every day which do a MFC and
reclaim, make full backup, and remove unnecessary tranlogs according to
last backup. Very much as the script you provided me from ss3.  So I was
wondering if the compact of the extent could also be part of this scripts.
 Would it be worth?  I guess I must measure myself right? I mean, I can
compacting it a the beginning of a business day, and see how much free
space I have again at night? Then regarding that answer, I can consider
whether do this daily, or weekly or ...

Another question is...I guess that when you make the extent bigger there is
some cost associated. So...I don't want to be compacting frequently (say
every day) if then the app will run slower because it is making bigger the
extent all the time.

Thanks in advance,