[Glass] Monit scripts for gemstone?

Richard Sargent richard.sargent at gemtalksystems.com
Wed Aug 20 10:40:25 PDT 2014

Mariano Martinez Peck wrote
> But...I had yet another problem. Upon startup...no problem. But upon
> shutdown, it seemed that monit was shutting down AFTER my init.d script.
> Therefore...I was shutting down in init.d and monit was alive putting them
> alive again. And that (I think), let me to strange situations. So I had to
> change the priorities of my init script to be sure upon startup it runs
> before monit and in shutdown, after.
>
> You didn't have problems with this? Or maybe just by chance your
> startup/shutdown order is like that?

There is a golden rule for programming by contract which should apply here,
too. Initialisation and termination should have reverse sequences.

A subclass initialiser needs to perform super class initialisation first,
but when cleaning up, it cleans up its own stuff first, then the rest
according to its super class rules.

The same pattern should apply in test set up and tear down sequences, and it
should apply to system start up and shutdown. I don't know about Unix and
init.d, so I don't know if the system design stops things in reverse from
how it starts them of if you need to manage it. If I had to guess, I would
expect the system to already work the right way, by design.