[Glass] Pull Request Monday

Dale Henrichs via Glass glass at lists.gemtalksystems.com
Mon Dec 15 13:17:22 PST 2014

Around the middle of November I began the work of integrating Sebastian
Heidbrink's port of Zinc-WebSocket packages to GsDevKit/zinc[6].

Along the way I ended up:

- Creating the GsDevKit/Cryptography project[5] and ensuring that the tests
  were green for the range of GemStone versions from 2.4.1 to 3.2.3[7].
  Currently only the Cryptography package is ported to GsDevKit[9] as that
was
  the only package needed by Web Sockets. Additional work can go on in the
  Cryptography project if needed.

- Creating the GsDevKit/gsApplicationTools project[4] which provides some
very
  nice gem server management tools for start/restart/status/stop topaz
sessions.
  I think the framework in gsApplicationTools is superior to any of the
other
  session management scripts/tools available for GsDevKit.

  I have written a fairly detailed document on using gsApplicationTools to
  manage a Zinc REST server instance[14], but since writing that document, I
  have created GemServer classess for Seaside adaptors (FastCGI, Swazoo and
  Zinc), Zinc Web Socket server, Zinc REST server, and the SeviceVM
  project[15].

I have outstanding pull requests for Seaside31[3], Zinc[2], and the
ServiceVM[1] projects that include the new GemServer classes and tests.

In the case of Seaside31 and Zinc I ended up fixing a collection of bugs,
while
integrating the new GemServer support. In the case of the Zinc project I
did
some fairly significant work beefing up the GsDevKit support. The changes
for
the Seaside31 project were not quite as extensive, but I still ended make
some
changes that could impact folks.

Consequently I plan to tag new versions of both Zinc and Seaside31 when I
merge
the pulll requests: v2.4.3.1 for Zinc and v3.1.3.2 for Seaside31. But
before
doing the merge and creating the new versions, I would like to have at
least a
couple of you review the changes that I've made; at a minimum I would like
you
to skim over the changes and make comments on any of the methods/classes
that
you might have concerns about ... then we can go over things in more detail.

If you use either Zinc or Seaside31, then you should at least read the
comment
in the Pull requests where I have described the changes in a bit more
detail:

- Seaside31 PR #57[3]
- Zinc PR #66[2]

If you use the ServiceVM, then you should review PR #6[1].

As mentioned, I have several outstanding issues for updating the
documentation
to create additional GemServer examples:

- GsDevKit/gsApplication Issue #7[8]
- GsDevKit/zinc Issue #67[10]
- GsDevKit/Seaside31 #24[11] and #58[12]
- plus a failed test[13]

and I plan to work on the documentation while you guys have a chance to
review
changes made to the various projects ... When I finish the documentation I
will
pull the trigger on the pull requests.

Dale

[1] https://github.com/GsDevKit/ServiceVM/pull/6