[Glass] High Availability in GemStone

Dale Henrichs dale.henrichs at gemtalksystems.com
Thu Feb 20 14:25:31 PST 2014

Bruno,

We plan on writing some example scripts for handling the mechanics of
switching over to standby stone, but anything beyond that is really
dependent upon your hardware configuration and your definition of failure

we'll share the script with you when we get one put together.

I believe that daemontools was mentioned because it can be used to detect
that a process is no longer running ... it is very useful for "instantly
_restarting_" gems, but I'm not sure that it could be used in this case
unless you wanted to simply restart the stone process ...

Regarding the virtual node copying technology ... I don't think the
technology has reached the point where such copying is feasible:) For a
small enough installation it might work, but if you have a sizable amount
of disk and memory that needs to be copied and synchronized atomically at
each write??? I think that running processes can be migrated from one
machine to another, but IIRC the processing is stopped for the duration of
the copy ... so not practical as a hot standby option (yet).

Dale