[Glass] High Availability in GemStone

James Foster james.foster at gemtalksystems.com
Thu Feb 20 15:08:29 PST 2014

Bruno,

I’m not that familiar with VMware fail-over but a quick Google search took me to http://pubs.vmware.com/vsphere-4-esx-vcenter/index.jsp?topic=/com.vmware.vsphere.availability.doc_41/c_useha_works.html.

One way I’d approach this is to look at separating the redundant hosts (CPU/RAM) from the redundant disks. If you had a disk system (with RAID, etc.) that could be switched easily between hosts, then when a machine failed you could restart on another machine that would use the exact same extents and transaction logs as the original. This would avoid GemStone altogether when it comes to the “hot standby” issue. The only delay would be in replaying the transactions since the last checkpoint—and checkpoint frequency is configurable. See http://pubs.vmware.com/vsphere-51/index.jsp?topic=%2Fcom.vmware.vsphere.storage.doc%2FGUID-52DC7277-5321-4BB5-86B4-D73D258F6529.html for a discussion of “Sharing a VMFS Datastore Across Hosts.”

Again, as you suggest, with this approach it is no longer a GemStone DBA problem but a datacenter administrator problem.

James Foster
Director of Operations
GemTalk Systems, LLC
+1 503 766 4714 (voice & fax)